Getting Started with Denarius StakeBox
StakeBox and Denarius have partnered together to bring you the Denarius StakeBox - a device that allows you to stake your Denarius cryptocurrency and make a return on your investment.
Staking Denarius is the process of securing the network with your coin weight, which in turn rewards you with new Denarius coins.
This quick guide will show you the steps to take to start staking with your Denarius using the graphical interface. This guide assumes you have some basic knowledge of how to use Linux OS.
Note: This guide is for reference only and we cannot be held responsible for any loss or theft of wallet data. Please make sure you backup your wallet and passphrase in a variety of locations.
What you will need
- 1x Denarius StakeBox
- USB keyboard & mouse
Assemble your hardware
- Connect your HDMI cable to your TV/Monitor
- Connect your Keyboard & Mouse
- Insert your Denarius microSD card into the SD slot (If purchased separately)
- Connect the micro USB power adapter
Connecting to Internet
Before we start working with the Denarius application we must first make sure that we have an internet connection in order to download the blockchain and start staking. There are currently two options with the Denarius StakeBox; firstly you can connect and ethernet cable from your router/switch or you can connect to your local Wi-Fi router using the built-in Wi-Fi.
To connect to your wireless router follow these steps:
- When your StakeBox boots into the Denarius desktop you will see a menu bar in the upper right hand side.
- Here you should see an icon with two red crosses on it, which indicates that the Wi-Fi is not connected to a wireless router. Click on this icon and you should see a list of available Wi-Fi hotspots, where you should see the name of your local router.
- Click on the name of your local hotspot and then enter your Wi-Fi password to connect to it. Note: your Wi-Fi SSID and password can usually be found on the back of your router or in the manual.
- Once you have connected you should see the Wi-Fi icon change and if you hover your mouse of it you will see your IP address and other information about the wireless connection
Ethernet is as simple as connecting an Ethernet cable from your StakeBox to the back of your router, you should see a green light on the Ethernet port on your StakeBox to indicate that it has successfully connected. For Ethernet DHCP settings you will need to refer to your instruction manual for your router.
Denarius is already installed on your StakeBox, it just needs launching from the command line. Open up a Terminal window from the Desktop menu or by clicking on the Raspberry logo and going to Accessories > Terminal.
Type in the following commands:
cd denarius ./Denarius
The Denarius graphical application will now begin to launch on the Desktop.
Encrypting your Denarius wallet
- Firstly, and more importantly we need to encrypt your wallet to make sure all your Denarius coins and data is safe. To do this go to Settings in the menu and then click Encrypt Wallet
- Here you must type in a passphrase that is at least 10 characters long. Warning: do not lose this passphrase otherwise you will not be able to access your wallet
- Enter your passphrase again to confirm it was correct and click ok
- You will receive a warning notification that if you encrypt your wallet and lose your passphrase you will lose all of your Denarius coins. If you are happy to proceed then click Yes to continue
- Once your wallet has finished encrypting you will receive a confirmation message and you will need to restart the Denarius application for the changes to take effect. Click OK to close the application
- Once the application has closed go-ahead and launch it again from the command line
Unlocking your Denarius wallet for staking
In order for you to start staking it is important that you unlock our wallet first, otherwise the staking process will not work as the application cannot access your wallet.
- Go to Settings > Unlock Wallet in the menu
- Enter your passphrase used to encrypt your wallet and click OK to unlock
- Your wallet is now unlocked and ready for staking. You should see in the bottom right hand corner the unlocked padlock symbol, which indicates the wallet is unlocked.
Note: When you close the Denarius application your wallet will automatically lock itself for security reasons
Now that we have encrypted your wallet it is time to start sending Denarius coins to your wallet for staking. To do this you will need to know what your receiving address is.
- In the main application click on Receive coins tab
- Here you will see a list of available receiving addresses where you can send your Denarius coins to.
- If you wish to create a new address you can click on the New Addresses in the bottom left to generate a new address
Note: If your wallet is not unlocked then you will be prompted to enter your wallet passphrase to unlock it when creating a new address
- Your new address will then be generated and you will see it in Receive Coins tab
Once the Denarius application has finished synchronizing the blocks and as long as your wallet is unlocked and you have coins in your wallet, the staking process will begin automatically.
Give us a tip!
Our learning and blog content is shared and released for free with no adverts ever, guaranteed! If this content helped your project or you just like the work we do and would like to help us grow the content and products we have available, please consider giving us a tip...
PayPal: Donate with PayPal