Getting Started with Monetary Unit StakeBox
StakeBox and MUE have partnered together to bring you the Monetary Unit StakeBox - a device that allows you to stake your MUE cryptocurrency and make a return on your investment.
Staking MUE is the process of securing the network with your coin weight, which in turn rewards you with new MUE coins.
This quick guide will show you the steps to take to start staking with your MUE using the graphical interface. This guide assumes you have some basic knowledge of how to use Linux OS.
Note: This guide is for reference only and we cannot be held responsible for any loss or theft of wallet data. Please make sure you backup your wallet and passphrase in a variety of locations.
What you will need
- 1x Monetary Unit StakeBox
- USB keyboard & mouse
Assemble your hardware
- Connect your HDMI cable to your TV/Monitor
- Connect your Keyboard & Mouse
- Insert your MUE microSD card into the SD slot (If purchased separately)
- Connect the micro USB power adapter
Connecting to Internet
Before we start working with the MUE wallet we must first make sure that we have an internet connection in order to download the blockchain and start staking. There are currently two options with the MUE StakeBox; firstly you can connect and ethernet cable from your router/switch or you can connect to your local Wi-Fi router using the built-in Wi-Fi.
To connect to your wireless router follow these steps:
- When your StakeBox boots into the desktop you will see a menu bar in the upper right hand side.
- Here you should see an icon with two red crosses on it, which indicates that the Wi-Fi is not connected to a wireless router. Click on this icon and select "Turn On Wi-Fi", you should then see a list of available Wi-Fi hotspots, where you should see the name of your local router.
- Click on the name of your local hotspot and then enter your Wi-Fi password to connect to it. Note: your Wi-Fi SSID and password can usually be found on the back of your router or in the manual.
- Once you have connected you should see the Wi-Fi icon change and if you hover your mouse of it you will see your IP address and other information about the wireless connection
Ethernet is as simple as connecting an Ethernet cable from your StakeBox to the back of your router, you should see a green light on the Ethernet port on your StakeBox to indicate that it has successfully connected. For Ethernet DHCP settings you will need to refer to your instruction manual for your router.
Launching MUE Wallet
By default when the StakeBox boots up to the Desktop the MUE wallet will launch. If you close the wallet or it doesn't launch for some reason then you can access it in the Raspberry Pi menu to launch it again:
When the wallet launches you will see the overview menu and providing you have internet connection it will begin to synchronise the blockchain.
Encrypting your wallet
- Firstly, and more importantly we need to encrypt your wallet to make sure all your MUE coins and data is safe. To do this go to Settings in the menu and then click Encrypt Wallet
- Here you must type in a passphrase that is at least 10 characters long. Warning: Do not lose this passphrase otherwise you will not be able to access your wallet
- Enter your passphrase again to confirm it was correct and click ok
- You will receive a warning notification that if you encrypt your wallet and lose your passphrase you will lose all of your MUE coins. If you are happy to proceed then click Yes to continue
- Once your wallet has finished encrypting you will receive a confirmation message and you will need to restart the MUE wallet for the changes to take effect. Click OK to close the application
- Once the application has closed go-ahead and launch it again from the Raspberry Pi menu
How to unlock your wallet for staking
In order for you to start staking it is important that you unlock our wallet first, otherwise the staking process will not work as the application cannot access your wallet.
- Go to Settings > Unlock Wallet in the menu
- Enter your passphrase used to encrypt your wallet and click OK to unlock
- Your wallet is now unlocked and ready for staking. You should see in the bottom right hand corner the unlocked padlock symbol, which indicates the wallet is unlocked.
Note: When you close the MUE wallet your wallet will automatically lock itself for security
Now that we have encrypted your wallet it is time to start sending MUE coins to your wallet for staking. To do this you will need to know what your receiving address is.
- In the main application click on File > Receiving addresses
- Here you will see a list of available receiving addresses where you can send your MUE coins to.
- If you wish to create a new address you can click on New in the bottom left to generate a new address
Note: If your wallet is not unlocked then you will be prompted to enter your wallet passphrase to unlock it when creating a new address
- Your new address will then be generated and you will see it in Receive Coins tab
Once the MUE wallet has finished synchronizing the blocks and as long as your wallet is unlocked and you have coins in your wallet, the staking process will begin automatically.
For further information on the Monetary Unit cryptocurrency please visit https://www.monetaryunit.org and if you have any queries you can visit any of the community channels at https://www.monetaryunit.org/index.html#community
Give us a tip!
Our learning and blog content is shared and released for free with no adverts ever, guaranteed! If this content helped your project or you just like the work we do and would like to help us grow the content and products we have available, please consider giving us a tip...
PayPal: Donate with PayPal