How to backup and restore your CloakCoin Wallet
Backing up your wallet is an important step to securing your coins in the event of losing your current staking wallet. Having a backup will enable you to restore your wallet for staking.
By default when you start the cloakcoind service it will automatically backup your staking wallet in a file called 'wallet.restore.bak', which you can find in the following directory on your StakeBox:
cd .CloakCoin ls -af
If for whatever reason there isn't a backup of your wallet.dat file then you can easily create one with the following steps:
Firstly before you do anything you will need to stop the cloakcoind application, which will also lock your wallet, otherwise you could corrupt the wallet and loose your data. In the command line type in the following command:
Note: Make sure that your wallet is fully synchronised before you backup so that it is up to date with the latest transactions.
Now we can safely create a back up of your current wallet. To create a copy of the wallet type in the following commands:
scp pi@RasPi-Cloak.local:~/.CloakCoin/wallet.dat ./cloakcoin_wallet-backup.dat
You should see the following output:
Now we are going to transfer the backup wallet to your computer.
SFTP File Transfer
The SSH File transfer protocol is the easiest method to transfer files between two devices on your StakeBox. If you have not enabled SSH or you don't know how, then please check out our "How to remotely access your StakeBox" guide in order to do that.
- On your computer you will need to download an FTP client such as FileZilla from filezilla-project.org
- Launch FileZilla and go to File > Site manager
- Create a New Site and name it StakeBox or whatever you like.
- Under General tab fill in the IP address of your StakeBox and in the Protocol box select SFTP. Under Logon Type select normal and then fill in your user name and password for the StakeBox in the below fields.
- Click Connect
- If prompted click ok to trust the host connection
- You are now connected to the StakeBox using SFTP
Here we can see our folder on the right hand side where we saved our wallet backup file earlier.
- On the left hand side navigate to a folder where you would like to save your backup wallet to. For example, you might want to save it to a new folder named CloakCoin Wallet in the Documents folder. Simply navigate to Documents and right click to create a new directory.
- Now locate your wallet backup file on the right hand side and right click the file and select Download
You should now see the back-up wallet has now transferred to your computer. Make sure that you save this wallet in a secure location to prevent any unauthorized access.
Restoring your wallet
In the event that you lose your wallet or it get corrupted you can restore it with your backup copy, simply by copying and pasting to the same location that the wallet.dat file is. Remember that you will need to rename your backup wallet file to wallet.dat in order for the CloakCoin application to read your wallet.
Note: Make sure that you stop the cloakcoind service before attempting to restore your wallet
Give us a tip!
Our learning and blog content is shared and released for free with no adverts ever, guaranteed! If this content helped your project or you just like the work we do and would like to help us grow the content and products we have available, please consider giving us a tip...
PayPal: Donate with PayPal