How to backup & restore your NavPi wallet
Backing up your wallet on your NavPi StakeBox is an important step to securing your coins in the event of losing your current staking wallet. Having a backup will enable you to restore your wallet for staking.
To backup your wallet, simply open up the NavPi web interface and click on the Control form the menu. Scroll down to Security and then click on Backup Wallet.
This will then begin to download the wallet to your computer. Make sure you save it somewhere safe and if possible in multiple locations, most likely a USB thumb drive.
Restore your backup wallet
There are a couple of ways in which you can restore you backup wallet to your NavPi StakeBox but the most convenient way is to transfer the backup file over USB.
Note: It is highly recommended that you also protect your Flash drive by encrypting it with a password in the event that you may lose it.
- Insert your USB flash drive into a spare USB 2.0 socket on your StakeBox. The Flash drive will automatically be detected as a drive and its directory will become available.
- On the Desktop click on the file icon on the top tool bar
- Navigate to where you saved your wallet backup file and right click to copy or go to File > Copy
- Navigate to the /home/stakebox/.navcoin4/ folder
- In the menu select File > Paste, if prompted to overwrite the current file click yes.
SFTP File Transfer
First thing you will need to do is enable SSH so we can remotely access the StakeBox and transfer the backup wallet file to your Desktop/Laptop computer. To do this type in the following command in the Terminal:
sudo systemctl enable ssh
The SSH File transfer protocol is the easiest method to transfer files between two devices on your StakeBox. If you have not enabled SSH or you don't know how, then please check out our "How to remotely access your StakeBox" guide in order to do that.
- On your computer you will need to download an FTP client such as FileZilla from filezilla-project.org
- Launch FileZilla and go to File > Site manager
- Create a New Site and name it StakeBox or whatever you like.
- Under General tab fill in the IP address of your StakeBox and in the Protocol box select SFTP. Under Logon Type select normal and then fill in your user name and password for the StakeBox in the below fields.
- Click Connect
- If prompted click ok to trust the host connection
- You are now connected to the StakeBox using SFTP
Here we can see our folder on the right hand side where we saved our wallet backup file earlier.
- On the left hand side navigate to a folder where you would like to save your backup wallet to. For example, you might want to save it to a new folder named Navcoin Wallet in the Documents folder. Simply navigate to Documents and right click to create a new directory.
- Now locate your wallet backup file on the right hand side and right click the file and select Download
You should now see the back-up wallet has now transferred to your computer. Make sure that you save this wallet in a secure location to prevent any unauthorized access.
To disable SSH again, which is highly recommended you can simply type in the following into the Terminal:
sudo systemctl disable ssh
Give us a tip!
Our learning and blog content is shared and released for free with no adverts ever, guaranteed! If this content helped your project or you just like the work we do and would like to help us grow the content and products we have available, please consider giving us a tip...
PayPal: Donate with PayPal